Redball Home Coming Events & News 2017 Jim Thorpe Vendor Registration Event Albums For Sale/Wanted Members Rigs Links Taps About Redball


This page is dedicated to the memory of Redball members who have passed on.

They are remembered for their love of our hobby, their spirit, and their service to our organization.


Jack Lippincott

December 24, 1924 - June 1, 2016

 Jack was a Charter Member of the Redball Military Transport Club. In addition, he was one of six that organized  Redball back in 1992. He was an active member, serving on the Board of Directors for many years and participating in many events. A memorial brick is placed at the Army Transportation Museum in his honor.

Jack served in the Army in WW II in France & Germany as a Medic, including driving trucks & ambulances. During the Korean War he re-enlisted and served with the training cadre at Fort Leonard Wood.

In 2011, Jack was one of 10 US military veterans to receive the Legion of Honor from France for services in France. The following picture is from the award occasion in Washington, DC

Burial with full military honors at Buena Vista Cemetery, Brodheadsville.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to VALOR Clinic Foundation,

P.O. Box 315, Brodheadsville, PA 18322.

Robert P. Lynn

April 7, 1938 - October 1, 2014

Robert P. Lynn, age 76 of Plainfield Township, passed away on Wednesday, October 1, 2014 at his residence, with his loving family at his side. He was the husband of Margaret "Peggy" Simons Lynn with whom he celebrated 47 years of marriage last November. He was born April 7, 1938 in East Stroudsburg, a son of the late Richard C. and Rita Schwoyer Lynn.

Bob was a U.S. Army veteran. He attended St. Michael's School for Boys in Tunkhannock. He worked as a mechanic for Crayola, formerly Binney and Smith, for more than 22 years, and later Waste Management before retiring. Bob enjoyed collecting military memorabilia and was a regular at local flea markets in the area.

He was a member of St. John's Lutheran Church in Easton, a life member of both the NRA and the Forks of the Delaware, and a member of the Red Ball Military Transport.

In addition to his loving wife Peggy, Bob is survived by one son, Kevin of Bethlehem; and one brother, Richard D. of Tucson, AZ. Along with his parents, Bob is predeceased by his son in infancy, Ricky Alan, and a half-brother, Victor Capone Jr. Burial was in Belfast Union Cemetery.  You may visit a tribute page in honor of Bob at www.schmidtfuneralhomepc.com.

REDBALL Military Transport made a donation to the U. S. Army Transportation Museum  and a memorial brick is placed in Robert's honor.


Edward E. Luksa Jr.

1954 - September 20, 2014

Edward E. Luksa Jr., 60, of Dallas, passed away unexpectedly on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014, in Pocono Medical Center, Stroudsburg. {He was transported by ambulance from the 2014 Redball  Gilbert Swap Meet & Rally where he was a vendor.}

He was born in Kingston, a son of the late Edward and Eleanor Pugh Luksa. He was a graduate of West Side Vocational Technical School and worked since 1988 at Offset Paperback in Dallas. Prior to that, he was employed by Bechtel Corp. at its Limerick power plant.

Ed and his wife, the former Joan Domarasky, celebrated 37 years of marriage on Sept. 10th. He will be remembered for his great sense of humor, and was known for his jokes and stories.

Ed was the proud father of three Eagle Scouts and was very active in scouting, serving as assistant troop leader for the NEPA Council at Troop 281, Dallas. He was an extremely handy man — he could fix anything.

Ed won several trophies for the work that he did restoring military vehicles. He was an active member of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA). {He also was a past member of the Redball Military Transport Club.}

In addition to his wife, Joan, he is survived by his three sons, Paul Luksa, Emmaus, Steven Luksa and Mark Luksa, both at home; his sisters, Delores White and Debra Ostrum, both of Kingston; brother, Joseph Luksa, Luzerne.I


Arthur (Art) George Van Aken

April 11, 1925 - May 7, 2014

Art, as he preferred to be called, is the son of the late Mr. Frederick Van Aken and Elizabeth (Bartsch) Van Aken of Gilboa. Art was born on April 11, 1925 in Yonkers, New York but spent most of his adult life in the Gilboa area, attending Gilboa-Conesville Central School.

In 1943, he joined the US Army. After basic training, he was shipped to England, and joined General George S. Patton’s Third Army, where he saw action in Normandy and Northern France as a member of The
Red Ball Express, delivering gas and supplies to the front lines. He was later transferred to Antwerp, Belgium during a period of daily V1 and V-2 attacks. He completed his Military Service in Germany at the war’s end. {Art was a past member of the Red Ball
Military Transport Club}

Art had a very active career, as a logger, truck driver, truck mechanic; retiring from the N.Y.S. DOT in 1987 as Preventive Maintenance Specialist. In 2004, he started a new career as a writer and truck historian, compiling and publishing 29 books on trucks and heavy equipment, which he shipped to customers worldwide.

Memorial contributions may be made to Catskills Area Hospice and Palliative Care, Inc., 795 E. Main St., Cobleskill, NY 12043
Article by Art Van Aken "On Driving The Red Ball Express",  from the February/March issue of  "Old Time Trucks" Magazine is here.
William (Bill) Parks

 October 21, 1949 - April 16, 2013

It is  with much sadness, that we record the passing of REDBALL Treasurer Bill Parks, Tuesday, April 16, 2013 while working at home.

Bill was our most dedicated member and a friend to all. A willing volunteer always first to offer a helping hand,  Bill was a man of great integrity who never failed to honor his commitments. Bill's devotion to making our Club a great organization will never be forgotten.

Bill was cremated and his ashes will be interred in the Fort Indiantown Gap Military Cemetery. Bill is survived by his beloved wife Loretta.

REDBALL Military Transport made a donation to the U. S. Army Transportation Museum in Bill's honor.

Frank C. J. Fiala

March 5, 1912 - July 3, 2009

Frank C. J. Fiala, a former member of Red Ball, passed away July 3rd 2009, 97 years young in Ocala, FL. He served in the Army during WWII as a Medical Supply Officer, spending time in Northern Africa, Italy and France from 1944 to 1945.

For a number of years Frank spent the winters in Ocala Florida and the summers at Pocono Lake Preserve, PA. He became acquainted with the Redball club during a MV display from the club at Pocono Lake Preserve and attended the summer shows and meetings during the summer after that until 2001 when he went to Ocala and stopped coming up in the summer time. 

Frank bought his first Jeep, a 1942 Willy’s MB in May of 1960 in Stanford CT. He towed it to Pocono Lake Preserve where it still is and being used some in the summer time. He bought a 1943 GPW from a club member after the parade and display at Pocono Lake Preserve. His son, Harry has displayed it at the last three Gilbert shows.

Provided by Frank Harry Fiala

Elder Santos

November 20, 1934 - June 2, 2009

Elder Santos, 74, of 80 Lakeside Drive, Honesdale, passed away peacefully at his home on Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Born Nov. 20, 1934, in Kearny, N.J., Elder served in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean conflict. He relocated to Honesdale in 1967. Employed as a Design Engineer and Distribution Technician for the Pennsylvania Power and Light Company for 30 years, he retired in 1994.

Elder was a true "hobbyist," a man of many diverse interests. He was the founding member of the Pike-Wayne Antique Automobile Club of America and a founding member of the Red Ball Military Transport Club. [Elder is remembered by many Red Ball members for his strong, enthusiastic support and for being a willing supplier of parts.] In 1976, his restoration of his 1950 Dodge Wayfarer garnered him the first place National Antique Automobile Club of American Award. His passion extended to his love of the military, and he captured many awards of distinction for his restorations of World War II vehicles. In 1994, Elder traveled to Southampton, England, and Normandy, France, to participate in the 50th anniversary celebration of D-Day.

A man of the highest integrity, dignity and character, Elder leaves an indelible legacy for all those who knew him. His enduring friendships span the country, and his consistent warmth, humor and compassion will be sorely missed and never forgotten.

He is survived by his loving and devoted wife of 42 years, Carol M. Oliver; his stepchildren, John Warren, Carolyn Warren, Diana Dutton, Kathy Bower and William Warren; five grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and his brother, James Santos of Haleiwa, Hawaii.

His beloved German shepherd, Sam, preceded him in death.

[See Elder Santos' Marmon-Harrington  tractor with his half-track on his trailer displayed at Tobyhanna 2000 Here]

Barrett L. Boop

June 1, 1932 - August 16, 2008

Barrett entered military services during the Korean War. He served in the 101st Airborne, 8th Division, Company C, and the U.S. Infantry, 2nd Division, before being wounded, and was then transferred to the 58th Ordinance Ammo Company, where he served in the motor pool. He was discharged from active service on Nov. 26, 1954. He received the Korean Services Medal with one bronze star, the Good Conduct Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, and United Nations Defense Medal.

Following his discharge from the military, Barrett pursued his interest in restoring World War II military vehicles, which became a life long hobby. He was well known for his vehicle restorations and his participation in parades and veterans activities. He was a member of the Red Ball Military Transport Club and the Military Vehicle Preservation Association.

George W. Sebring, Jr.

October 19, 1929 - January 5, 2008

George was a veteran of the Korean Conflict, having served in the Navy as a combat air crewman. He was a longtime resident of East Stroudsburg PA and a member of several community groups, his church, Member #1 of the Redball Military Transport and a Life Member of the MVPA.

George was always seen at HMV events with a smile on his face and a laugh in his heart. We strongly appreciate all your contributions to the Red Ball Military Transport.


Obituary: Richard 'Dick' Winters, courageous WWII officer portrayed in 'Band of Brothers'

By T. Rees Shapiro

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 11, 2011; p. B7

Richard "Dick" Winters, 92, a decorated Army officer whose courageous leadership through some of the fiercest combat of World War II was featured in the best-selling book and HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers," died Jan. 2. He had Parkinson's disease.

The Patriot-News in central Pennsylvania reported that Maj. Winters, a longtime Hershey resident, died at an assisted-living facility in nearby Campbelltown.

Stephen Ambrose's 1992 book "Band of Brothers" followed the men of E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. The group came to be known as Easy Company.

One of Easy Company's officers was Maj. Winters, a charismatic and compassionate leader who entered Army service as a private and returned home after World War II as a major.

He and his men jumped into combat on June 6, 1944, above Normandy and later fought together through Operation Market Garden in the Netherlands and the Battle of the Bulge.

The unit experienced heavy turnover because of battlefield casualties. One Easy Company soldier later wrote that among his colleagues, the Purple Heart "was not a decoration but a badge of office."

Maj. Winters graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 1941 before enlisting in the Army. He was selected to attend officer candidates' school, earned a commission in the summer of 1942 and then - drawn by the promise of extra pay for hazardous duty - volunteered to join a newly formed paratrooper unit.

Of about 500 officers who volunteered to join the elite unit, only 148 made the cut.

Maj. Winters excelled as a infantry leader and a paratrooper and became a hallowed figure among his men for his "follow me" attitude.

He received the military's second-highest decoration for valor, the Distinguished Service Cross, for his actions on D-Day.

That morning, after landing and untangling from his parachute, Maj. Winters gathered a small group of men for a raid on German cannon emplacements near Brecourt Manor.

Guarded by a platoon of 50 German sentries, the heavily fortified battery had been firing on Utah Beach, causing significant casualties and slowing the Allied advance.

In their assault of the position, Maj. Winters and his men killed 15 German soldiers and took 12 as prisoners. At one point, Maj. Winters noticed a wounded German soldier crawling toward a machine gun.

"I drilled him clear through the head," Maj. Winters told Ambrose.

Maj. Winters and his men destroyed three German cannons and completed the action with near-textbook efficiency.

Throughout the war, Maj. Winters's leadership skills earned him commendations and promotions. He served as Easy Company's commander and was promoted to lead the 506th Regiment's 2nd Battalion, which included Easy Company.

Maj. Winters and his men eventually saw the end of the European campaign while occupying Adolf Hitler's mountainside retreat, the Eagle's Nest, nestled in the Alps above Berchtesgaden. They celebrated by drinking champagne from the Fuhrer's 10,000-bottle cellar.

Late in the war, one of Maj. Winters's soldiers, Floyd Talbert, wrote him a letter from an Indiana hospital, thanking him for his loyalty and leadership.

"You are loved and will never be forgotten by any soldier that ever served under you," Talbert wrote. "I would follow you into hell."

Richard Davis Winters was born Jan. 21, 1918, in Lancaster, Pa.

His family's roots in American history reached back to Timothy Winters, a British immigrant who served in the Revolutionary War and saw action in the Battle of Yorktown.

Maj. Winters's own war story went untold for nearly a half-century until the publication of Ambrose's book, which became a national bestseller.

In 2001, a television miniseries adapted from Ambrose's work was released on HBO. The series, co-produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, won six Emmy Awards and a Golden Globe.

Toward the end of the war, Maj. Winters turned down the opportunity to make the Army a career.

He returned to the United States and joined an Army colleague's company, Nixon Nitration Works, in New Jersey. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War as a training officer.

For the rest of his career, Maj. Winters owned a farm in rural Pennsylvania and sold animal nutrition products to animal-feed companies. He married Ethel Estoppey in 1948 and had two children. He lived the quiet and peaceful life he'd promised to himself after surviving the war.

One of the most harrowing experiences of his military service came in late April 1945. The men of Easy Company discovered a German working camp near Landsberg that was part of the Dachau concentration camp. Maj. Winters found wheels of cheese piled in a nearby cellar and ordered that the nourishment be distributed among the inmates.

"The memory of starved, dazed men who dropped their eyes and heads when we looked at them through the chain-link fence, in the same manner that a beaten, mistreated dog would cringe, leaves feelings that cannot be described and will not be forgotten," Maj. Winters wrote of the experience. "The impact of seeing those people behind that fence left me saying, only to myself, 'Now I know why I am here.'"